Madanapalle Municipality is 3rd largest ULB in the Chittoor district of A.P. it is spread over an area of 14.20 Sq.Kms. With a population of 135669 (2011 census). Madanapalle was built in 1618 AD by Sri Ahobila Naidu. Madanapalle was established as Municipality on 01-04-1961.
Madanapalle town is the Headquarters of Madanapalle Mandal. Its geographical coordinates are Lat 13.55°N and Long 78.50°E. Madanapalle is 534 Kms away from Capital Amaravati, 140 Kms away from neighboring state’s capital of Bangalore. Madanapalle is very well connected by road and rail. There are three Bus terminals in Madanapalle. State owned APSRTC buses run to different parts of the district, state and interstate - Bangalore (KA), Mysore, Bellary and Chennai (TN), Vellore. There are no zones/35 Election wards in this municipality.
As per 2011 Census of India, the town had a population of 135,669. The total population constitute, 67,432 males, 68,237 females and 13,448 children, in the age group of 0–6 years. The average literacy rate stands at 81.40% with 99,486 literates, significantly higher than the national average of 73.00%.
Madanapalle is located at an average elevation of 695 m (2,280 ft) above mean sea level. It has pleasantly mild, to warm summers with average high temperatures of 30 to 35 degrees Celsius (86 F to 95 F). Temperatures do not exceed 40 degrees Celsius (104 F) and winters are cold with temperatures between 7 to 15 degrees Celsius (44.6 F to 59 F).
Out of the population of 135,669 population of the town, 36575 are living in slums. Majority of them are leading their life as daily wage labourers, under employed labourers, seasonal labourers etc. At present there are 42 poor settlements in the town, out of which 32 are notified and 10 are non-notified slums. The condition of living environment like roads, drainage facilities, housing, electricity , basic education, health are not bad but definitely needs improvement.
Horsley Hills is a very popular summer hill resort situated near the town of Madanapalle in Andhra Pradesh.It is surrounded throughout its entire length with dense growths of eucalyptus, jacaranda, allamanda and gulmohar trees. The major tourist places around madanapalle are Lake Gangotri, Highview seeing place, Gaalibanda, Environmental Park and the Horsley Hills Museum. Horsley Hills is also one of the few places to offer Zorbing in India along with adventurous sports like rapelling and trekking.
The Environmental park known as EEC Centre was built with the help of a hydrogeologist and environmentalist from Hyderabad named Balijepalli Venkata Subba Rao, Director of the Centre For Resource Education. He spent the early years of his career in building EEC centres all over Andhra Pradesh trying to educate the common man about the importance of saving the environment and encouraging Eco Tourism. It is also called as Poor man's OOTY.
The history of Madanapalle dates back to 907 AD in the reign of Chola Kingdom. Earlier, the town was located to west of Sri Yogabhogeswara Swami Temple. Madanapalle was ruled by Vijayanagara Palegars namely Basanna and Madanna. In memory of their names, the two hills on the east of Madanapalle were named as “Madanna Hill” and “Basavanna Hill” which gradually transformed to Madinikonda and Basinikonda. During 907 – 955, Yadavanayikas and Hoyasalas ruled by Vijayanagara Empire. After its downfall, it went under the rule of Golkonda nawabs during 1565. During 1713, the Kadapa Nawab, Abdul Nabi Khan captured Madanapalle. Madanapalle was transformed from Karnataka provinson to Kadapa division. There was war between Kadapa Nawabs and Maharastra rulers for the sake of Madanapalle and Punganur provision. Kadapa Nawab was defeated by Balajirao Peshi and captured Madanapalle later Tipu Sultan annexed it before falling to the British.
Sir Thomas Munro was first collector of Cuddapah. He constructed a small thatched house at the present Collector’s bunglow and visited Madanapalle every summer. In 1850, Madanapalle was developed as subdivision and F.B.Manoly was the first Sub Collector. The town experienced several natural calamities like floods, famines and epidemics.
Rabindranath Tagore translated "Jana Gana Mana" from Bengali to English and also set it to music in Madanapalle. The National Anthem was written by Rabindranath Tagore as early as in 1911 and was sung at the annual session of the Indian National Congress at Calcutta on December 27 that year. But it was actually done in Besant Theosophical College, Madanapalle, where Tagore stayed for few days in February 1919 that the now familiar tune was set. It was Margaret Cousins, wife of educationist, Dr. James Henry Cousins, who composed the tune for ‘Janaganamana.’ Dr. Cousins was then the Principal of the Madanapalle College that was established by Dr. Annie Besant.